My Different Platforms
- AMwA/AWLI: Leadership Development for young women
- AWDF: Funding for women’s initiatives
- FLEKS: Policy frameworks and grassroots mobilization
- Above Whispers; Writing and publishing
Are you in the right P.L.A.C.E?
WHAT ARE YOU PASSIONATE ABOUT?
- Core values
- Sense of purpose
Your passion is the strong emotion that drives you regardless of the obstacles in your way or how many times you are discouraged. People will trust you as a leader because they can sense, taste and feel what you stand for.
WHAT LEVERAGE DO YOU HAVE?
- Knowledge base
- Name recognition
- Track record
Your skills, education or knowledge amount to nothing if you don’t know how to channel them into leverage to get things done or to seek access.
WHAT MAKES YOU ANGRY?
- Discrimination on the basis of age, ability, etc.?
- Sexual abuse and exploitation?
- Poor governance?
Your anger over an issue or situation fuels a drive for change, transformation, solutions and impatience with the status quo.
WHAT CAPACITY DO YOU HAVE OR NEED?
- Ability to analyse and process information (TBU vs TAU)
- Timely decision-making
- Planning and prioritisation
- Financial resources and money management
If you cannot manage yourself you can’t lead effectively
HOW MUCH ENERGY DO YOU HAVE?
- Do you have high or low energy levels?
- Is the energy around you positive or negative?
- How well do you take care of yourself?
- When are you able to perform to the optimum and when do you feel unproductive?
- Is someone or something draining you?
- Is your skin too thick? – bad for a leader
- Is your skin too thin? – bad for a leader
- Is your skin just right for you? – good for a leader
Only the living lead
HOW DO I GET TO THE RIGHT PLACE?
- Set personal goals and review them regularly
- Invest in yourself
- Develop and manage your own brand
- Serve as an example to others
- Keep a journal/records
- Take your health seriously
- Plan for transitions carefully wherever applicable (New job, location, marriage, children, divorce, etc.)
WHAT CAN WE DO TO ENSURE BARRIERS TO WOMEN’S GROWTH ARE REMOVED?
- Advocate for laws and policies to raise the status of women
- Advocate for political will to implement existing laws and policies where they exist
- More feminists (male and female) in decision making positions
- Invest in the education of girls and keeping them safe in schools
- Engage men as champions to work with other men
- Develop a progressive understanding of religious texts
- Be each other’s keeper – the spirit of Ubuntu